Monday, December 10, 2007

Flickr

This is a picture of the meeting room floor at the Seattle Public Library. It really is as red as it looks, although thankfully the meeting rooms themselves look normal.

For personal use, Flickr is a great way to share photos with others, especially those who live further away.

For library use, we have to be aware of posting photos of patrons with their permission. However, I think this would be very useful to have a tour of the library. It could be used to highlight smaller collections that might not be obvious to patrons when they walk in the door, such as the large print area in our children's room.

Flickr could also be used to give patrons an idea of the types of programs available at the library. Most presenters would probably grant permission to have their photos posted (and might like the publicity).

One thing that I disliked about Flickr is that when I uploaded the photos from a CD I wasn't able to preview them or see thumbnails. I was way over the size limit, so I randomly deleted photos until I was under the limit. I never intended to post all of them, but I was hoping to have some way to sort through them to pick and choose.

One feature I liked about Flickr is that they've got a group of interesting photographs. I like looking at unique pictures and it's nice that they've chosen some they think highly of.

Flickr was also fairly easy to use, and it's great that it ties into a Yahoo account, so that I didn't have to create yet another username and password.

No comments: