Monday, December 10, 2007

Wikis

This week's exercises were very straightforward. I found the Project Play Wiki very easy to update and change.

I like the Davis, CA wiki. It has a lot of information and seems like a great starting point for someone new to the city.

I would like our website to act more like a Wiki (and it will once we redesign it) so that more than one person is able to easily edit content and update entries. I don't think it will be a true Wiki though, since it will be limited to certain staff members and editing control will be limited.

I've found Wikis more helpful from a reference point of view, although taken with a grain of salt. For example, the AFI's top 100 film list is only available on their website if you register. (Which I have, it's just that I've forgotten my password. Sound familiar?) A Google search led me to the complete list on Wikipedia. I've seen the list before, so I'm fairly confident in my Wikipedia results. I've heard that many political topics have been frequently edited or slanted towards one side or the other, so I would not trust results on these topics and would have to find another source to corroborate the information.

No comments: