Thursday, December 6, 2007

LibraryThing

Here's the link for my LibraryThing account: http://www.librarything.com/catalog/dbongers

One weakness of LT is that the free account is limited to 200 books - for an active book club this could fill up fast.

I think it's very easy to add books (even without scanning the barcode) and to find suggestions.

I'm a little disappointed by the suggestion feature though, and I don't know if it's reliable enough to suggest to patrons for readers advisory. I tried a few different titles and the combined recommendations always included other books by the same author - most patrons would know to have looked for these already.

I was also surprised to see that Little Children was suggested for both The Pleasure of My Company and The Book of Joe. The latter books are both very comedic and light in tone, which is what I was looking for; Little Children sounds like a darker, more serious book. Maybe I'll give it a try anyway.

No comments: